Receiving a diagnosis of periodontal, or gum disease from your dentist does not mean your oral health is doomed. Dr. Young H. Kim Lincolnway Dental Center will work with you to develop personalized treatment plans and offer a variety of solutions.
What is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal diseases are chronic bacterial infections that affect the gums and the bone that supports the teeth. The infections begin when plaque, the colorless film that forms on your teeth, is not regularly removed and causes your gums to become inflamed.
Stages of Periodontal Disease
Two main stages of Periodontal disease exist, gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Gingivitis: The mildest form of periodontal disease, this causes the gums to become swollen, red and bleed easily.
- Periodontitis: Periodontitis occurs when gingivitis remains untreated. The plaque buildup emits toxins that irritate the gums and cause the tissues that support the teeth to break down. The gums separate from the teeth and create pockets that become infected.
Dr. Kim of Aurora employs all options to combat periodontal diseases.
- Non-surgical: The most cost-effective and easiest treatment involves scaling and planing. Dr. Kim removes plaque and other deposits above and below the gum line and smoothes rough root surfaces. Afterward, antibiotics are typically administered.
- Periodontal Surgery: The Aurora dentist will determine that surgery is necessary if the tissues surrounding the affected teeth are not healthy and cannot be fixed with scaling and planing. Common surgical procedures are:
- Pocket Reduction Procedures
- Regenerative Procedures
- Dental Crown Lengthening
- Gum Graft Surgery